Thursday, July 29, 2010

Revelations

After discussing justice, freedom and human rights this week in my Introduction to Philosophy class, we capped it off by watching an episode of 48 Hours Mystery on the West Memphis Three. I was so pleased to experience thoughtful excellent class response and comments, especially given that today was particularly challenging, as I lectured on just war theory and terrorism...a student in my class was involved in the whole Guantanamo Bay affair, so I felt an impulse to tread lightly.  Nevertheless, I got all sides out there, and he didn't respond negatively. It probably helps that he and I have already spoken privately and candidly about his experiences.

Dialogue, different perspectives, seeing things from the other side--that's what this whole philosophy thing is about for me. I'm so glad I chose it!

No comments: